My sister-in-law has an ingenious shoe organization system that she has used for several months now. I snapped some pictures because I think it is so smart! We are major fans of this system because:
- No dirt is tracked in the house.
- Kids can always find their own shoes, since there is only one place to look!
- No socks and shoes spewed across your house, thus reducing clutter.
I can’t tell you how many times we go to leave the house in a hurry, and then realize we can’t find the pair of shoes we want! This system is so effective on all those above-mentioned levels. They have one simple rule: no shoes in the house! Parents are old enough and wise enough to be able to handle the whole “wearing-shoes-in-the-house” thing, so they allow adults to wear shoes inside, but there is a strict, SHOES OFF policy for kids!
There are several details to her shoe system that are helpful:
- A reminder on the door: “Shoes off!”
- Enough spots for everyone and all their pairs of shoes.
- An area for socks too! (She bought her hanging shelf from Ikea).
- Both socks and shoes are eye-level: which helps more than you think!
- An optional place to sit while removing shoes.
- A piece of carpet to ease your senses- making it a little more pleasant on your feet as you walk into the house.
- Both parents are on board to enforce the “shoes off” policy.
Here’s what you’ll need to implement to her system:
- Enough clear hanging shoe organizers for the whole fam. Her family of six used three organizers. Get some here (under $8).
- Command hooks for damage-free walls. Get a pack here (under $7).
- Ikea hanging mesh organizer for socks. Get it here (under $12).
- Optional rug ($23) and chair ($19) to sit on!
I had to share the awesome idea with you! Pass it along to a friend that could use a system to reduce some stress in their life! Let’s face it, finding the right pair of shoes when you’re ready to leave the house is stressful!
Speaking of… if you’ve never seen this comedy routine about this “thing” you didn’t know was a “thing” until you had children: it’s called “Leaving the House”, you need to watch this English comedian! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFQfylQ2Jgg
Tame the madness, my friends, and get yourself a system!
Here’s what mine looks like:
I wish that I could fully use my sister-in-laws’ system. However, I’m afraid my kids are still a little too young for to really be able to follow through keeping shoes out of the house. For now, our simplified system of having a shoe spot for each kid, right by the door is okay for this season in life. We still have shoes all over the house by the end of each day and it’s usually my little Kate’s job to collect them all and put them in their spot.
And here’s a little organizational eye-candy for some other shoe-organization inspiration:
georgeous eye-level: http://quemas.mamaslatinas.com/home/134462/12_consejos_para_organizar_todo
in-the-stairs organization: http://www.contemporist.com/2016/05/08/these-bright-yellow-stairs-include-hidden-spaces-for-storage/
hanging baskets in the doorway: http://www.educacionactualizada.com/imagenescreativas/36.html
curtain hiding shoes in master: http://www.houzz.com/photos/12415387/NYC-Glam-in-Manhattan-Beach-transitional-closet-los-angeles
Coat closet used to the max! My friend Whitney is loving this- out of site, but right where they need them! She even installed the shelves herself guys! Here’s a similar idea using tension rods if you happen to have some laying around! (not as pretty of a pic, but go to the link!) Shoe explosion: http://web.archive.org/web/20140801190058/http://3citygirlsnyc.wordpress.com:80/2013/02/11/diy-organize-your-shoe-closet-with-tension-rods/
I hope this gives you some ideas to tame the madness at your house with a new shoe system! We’d love to see any methods you are loving! Send us a pin on pinterest or keep in touch on facebook. Hope you have a wonderful week!