So, I’m a soccer player. I’ve been playing soccer since I was five-years-old. It runs through my veins. I’ve built up the muscles that are needed most when playing soccer, but there were many times when those muscles were worked their hardest, were strengthened, and were tired. It wasn’t until college that I was introduced to the beauty that is: the Foam Roller.
Our team’s Strength and Conditioning Coach had some beautiful foam rollers that he would have us use. This was usually after he made us lift until we could barely move (kind of an olive branch gift). Basically it is a foam cylinder that you use it to roll on your muscles to release soreness and improve flexibility.
My husband is a personal trainer and he actually taught a foam rolling class at a gym. There are lots of benefits to using a foam roller.
Awesome Pros and Cons of the Foam Roller
1. Foam rolling increases flexibility
2. Foam rolling increases athletic performance
3. Foam rolling is a myofascial release technique that help relieve sore muscles
4. Foam rolling can help release muscle adhesions (or knots)
5. Foam Rolling is helpful for relieving pain and assisting in wellness
6. Foam rollers are fairly inexpensive
1. Foam rolling requires a learning curve (thank heavens for YouTube!)
2. You need floor space to use the foam roller properly.
Usually, when you start using the foam roller, you need to use a softer foam roller. Then, you can work up to a firmer foam roller. Click here for a soft foam roller. Click here for the foam roller my husband and I use daily along with stretching.
I was able to use a foam roller (carefully) while pregnant to relieve muscle soreness. I regularly use a foam roller now as I have ongoing back pain from athletics. I’ve also just picked up playing soccer again and my foam roller pretty much saved those muscles after not using them for a little while.
Basically, foam rolling is super helpful for muscles. Even if you don’t think you’re sore, after using a foam roller, you are bound to find areas that are particularly tight. Most of all, I always feel SO much better after a good foam roll. Especially, when there are no children climbing on me to “help”.
What do you use or do for body wellness?
**This article contains affiliate links