I think it’s safe to say that every parent wants to give their children a meaningful life, to help them be happy. A loving and safe home, a comfortable bed, healthy meals, a beautiful birthday, etc. But did you know one of the best gifts you can give your children is a healthy and happy YOU! From ages 0-8 children’s brains function in the theta wave MOST of the time. Whereas adults spend most of the time in alpha and beta waves. Theta waves are considered to be like a dream like trance and when in theta waves you are soaking up the world around you, forming memories and beliefs about the way things work. While in alpha and beta waves we are more alert, active and consciously aware. For a more in depth explanation click here. So in layman’s terms, children are like sponges, taking in our every move and mood as they observe us. That being said, those years are our time to shine as mothers! To really offer the gift of a happy and healthy individual to our children will seep into their subconscious mind and become a guiding compass for their own adulthood. That being said, don’t worry no one’s perfect, but we can all be a bit happier right?! So here are five things that will help you be your happiest self!
“In the end I am the only one who can give my children a happy mother who loves life.”
-Janene Wolsey Baadsgaard
- 1. Surround yourself with happy people. Some people say we are the sum of the five people we spend the most time with. Consider for a moment who you spend time with, and how they influence you. You may consider spending more time in prayer, meditation or with the greatest of authors if you can’t physically be with the happiest of people right now.
- 2. Exercise. Nike coined it best when they said, JUST DO IT. If you belong to a gym, go! If you don’t belong to a gym- go for a walk. Can’t afford a stroller, jog in place. You get the idea, no excuses! Quit robbing yourself of the extra endorphins and much needed better sleep, stronger immune system, etc. The list goes on and on. You know exercising is good for you- so DO IT.
- 3. Laugh. Did you know children laugh around 300 times a day while adults only muster a mere 15 chuckles daily? Watch something funny, think about something funny, create something funny. Get laughing!
- 4. Unplug and go outside. Even if going outside means sitting on your front porch. IT. IS. WORTH. IT. Even better- go to the mountains, visit the lake, the coast, a trail, a meadow, ride a horse, ride, a boat, play in the sand. You get the idea, make going outside and connecting with the nature a priority.
- 5. Express gratitude to someone every day. Gratitude is just unbeatable on the scale of happiness. Expressing gratitude is scientifically proven to raise your happiness and has even been measured in experiments such as this one by SoulPancake. Truly a tear jerker. Check it out here!
If you’re not fighting for and working towards your own happiness, what are you doing? Every choice we make can contribute or take away from our happiness. We are here to experience JOY and by building our own happiness we can only elevate those around us, especially our children. Stop underestimating your value and the importance of YOU BEING HAPPY. It matters. You matter. So get out there and be happy today! #choosehappy