You know you have a passion for something when it literally gives you insomnia sometimes! This is me when it comes to nutrition, exercising, and helping others. I played college basketball for 4 years and pushed my body to more extremes than I thought possible. I ran Angels Landing (2.6 miles with 1,500ft elevation gain), with a partner – I pushed a full sized truck up a hill, and I treaded water for an hour; just to name just a few. I know that sounds insane, but I LOVED EVERY MINUTE! Pushing my body to such extremes has led me to great successes as an athlete. It also led me to train others for the past 10 years.
Recently, I became a Group Fitness instructor and mommy of two. I am a self-experimenter, everything I talk about and teach I try on myself first. I know what works and what doesn’t. In the last seven years I have had three major surgeries and two children. Between these experiences I have gained and lost between 30-50lbs each time. I continually further my education to learn of the best ways to be healthy.
A FLAT TUMMY IS MADE IN THE KITCHEN!!!
I’ve heard this from so many different sources and didn’t realize how true it is until I tried it! 80% of the way your tummy looks is based on what you eat, the other 20% is exercise. If you want a flat tummy, you have to make healthy eating choices.
NUTRITION IS KEY, BUT WHAT IS HEALTHY?
Here are my top three nutrition tips for a flatter tummy:
Eat more PROTEIN!
Protein is tightening, slimming, filling, and helps you build muscle faster! Eat more protein! To learn more about how to pick the best protein option visit my blog post here. There are a lot of exclamation points because IT IS THAT IMPORTANT! Here are some of my favorite quick high protein options:
– Low-fat Cottage Cheese- Add to taste sugar free Jello powder and fresh fruit
– Low-fat Greek Yogurt (i.e Dannon Light & Fit)- Add small hand full of sliced almonds
– Whey Protein (i.e Beauty Fit)- 1 Scoop Lemon Protein, 2 large ice cubes, ¼ Cup low-fat milk, ¼ Cup Water, ½ Cup Spinach, ½ Cup frozen blueberries
Eat less carbs!
It is good to get good sources of carbs, BUT carbs are often the easiest thing to eat and having too many can make you feel bloated. If you compared calorie to calorie, protein to Carb, you would feel fuller longer from the protein. When you pick a carb pick one that is low in calories and/or high in protein. Below is a list of good carbs to choose from:
– Fruit – 2 servings a day, a serving usually is what can fit in your hand
– Whole Grain Bread- Daves Killer Bread has 5g of protein per slice, a typical slice of bread has about 2.7g of protein.
– Banza Pasta– Almost half as many carbs as regular pasta and twice the protein
Drink more water!!
Water will help to speed up your metabolism, aid in digestion, and to top it off, clearer skin. I have the hardest time drinking water. I hate water! In order for me to consume the amount of water that I need, I have set times in the day that I drink water. Every time I eat a meal or snack (5-6 times a day), I drink 16-20oz of water. As long as you are doing these things 75% of the time YOU WILL GET RESULTS! You got this! Now get started!
A little EXTRA tip: Routine is everything for me! This is what has worked. For example, I have the hardest time drinking water. I hate water! In order for me to consume the amount of water that I need, I have set times in the day that I drink water. Every time I eat a meal or snack (5-6 times a day), I drink 16-20oz of water. As long as you are doing these things 75% of the time YOU WILL GET RESULTS! If you’re looking for a few extra tips and tricks, Positive Health Wellness has some additionally great information here.
If you are not doing all of these things right away, its ok! Don’t be intimidated! Start with one, make a small goal, and improve from there. “…By small and simple things, great things are brought to pass…” (Alma 37:6) YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT TO HAVE A FLAT TUMMY! Don’t let the small slip ups get you down. In summary, increase your protein intake, decrease your overall carbohydrate intake and pick the better options when eating carbs, and drink more WATER! You’ve totally got this, now start today!
Jessica Griffin is the creator of shewillpower.com. She loves to inspire, motivate, and help women improve their lifestyle by making personalized fitness plans. As a part-time group fitness instructor, personal trainer, AND blogger, she is a busy mommy of two. Her background training as a 4 year all-star, collegiate athlete gives her a passion to learn and study for herself what works best! She is sure to practice what she preaches so she’s giving her clients tried and true tips and tricks to a healthier lifestyle.